Greetings, Earthlings...

Welcome to Beyond the Limits of Reason, the meeting point for all things Michael Doubrava.

Michael Doubrava profile

I was born on Earth during the second half of the twentieth century.

Untitled (San Lorenzo, New Mexico)

Untitled (San Lorenzo, New Mexico)
A metaphor for the conflict between rationality and emotion; betweeen Apollo and Dionysus; between the empirical and the supernatural; between stasis and revolution...

our motto and mission is to

tickle the idiot
rapture the faithful
pity all the ignorant and hateful

illuminate the enlightened
confound the intellectual
with life distilled flood memory's temple

September 9, 2011

Another look at the work-in-progress

A few changes have been made since the last version. For instance, a layer of vegetation has been added. Next, background layer was duplicated, and then horizontally reversed, to achieve a more symmetrical composition.This duplicate layer was then selectively erased as needed before flattening.

5 comments:

Eugene Smith said...

I'm enjoying this new series.

michaeldoubrava said...

Eugene, thanks for your interest. It is a weird hybrid, as I am using old school pinhole with tri-x, but also scanning it all and reworking it. Also, you should home-brew, its about as difficult as mixing b/w chemistry, just takes longer, but tastes much better.

Eugene Smith said...

Oddly enough, or perhaps not, I've done some home brewing, accrued enough equipment to do all grain brewing. It's currently collecting dust in the garage. I miss shooting film, developing, and nodding off in the darkroom, smelling fix on my hands the next morning. Digital photography, what little I do, is incredibly unfulfilling like having your hands on the entire process of image making. I get a bit of a "fix" observing your creating... pun intended.

joyce wegmuller said...

Michael - your site is fascinating. I always feel like an idiot trying to describe someone's art, so let me just say this for now....I like it. Your site makes me think of one of my favorite quotes from Stephen Jay Gould (and I'm probably misquoting somewhat): "Although it may sound depressing, I've always found it comforting to realize that, no, not everything makes sense." Thanks for sharing this with me.

michaeldoubrava said...

Thank you, Joyce, for your very kind words!

Looking for more?

You can access more imagery by clicking on the phrase above which says"older posts". Many additional works can be viewed dating back to the earliest posts which initiated this blog.